Saturday, October 26, 2019

Overnight oats........

We have jumped onto the overnight oats bandwagon and I must say both dh and I are embracing it.  I am especially surprised at dh as he doesn't normally have breakfast when he goes to work.  He takes this with him so he can have it with his 8:30 am coffee.

Different people do it different ways but this is how we prepare it.

I bought both types of oats to try out and the large flake oats work best for us.  The steel cut oats kept getting stuck to the roof of our mouth.

 Was told to use this particular type of "milk," and so we do.
 The recipe for us is 1/2 cup of oats, just cover with "milk."  I did try using just half a cup and found it way too dry.  We then add a handful of frozen fruit on top and put it in the fridge overnight with lid on.
 In the morning we add a pot of fat free yogurt to it, as we find it too dry.
Have you tried the overnight oats?  Do you like it?

9 comments:

Northern Living Allowance said...

I love overnight oats! In fact, I bought myself a new container last week to make them in and need to organise the ingredients next. I prefer the large oats, too. I add a bunch of stuff to it (coconut flakes, pumpkin & chia seeds, etc.) to make it interesting. But it's so easy - no cooking - and so filling. I don't like almond milk, so use coconut milk instead. xx

Caree Risover said...

Traditional Swiss Bircher muesli involves soaking in apple juice. Delicious - various recipes online to check out.

angela said...

I’ve never heard of them. We have packets where you cook them in a microwave if you like. They are good for quick breakfast when travelling. And if you don’t have power for the microwave you can still cook the stove top really quickly

Winifred said...

I was like your husband & never ate breakfast until a few months ago when I had to start taking medication. I usually see what I fancy eating when I've finished taking the tablets (takes an hour & a half to get throught them as some can't be taken with food). It varies from a slice of toast & honey or muesli or porridge with nuts, seeds, honey & blueberries and on occasions Greek yoghurt honey with the nuts & blueberries. Some days just a latte!

Those overnight oats sound tasty. Might give them a try. Thanks for giving me the idea.

Jackie said...

I have never made overnight oats. I'm scared I won't like them as much as regular oatmeal. Yours does look very tasty.

God bless.

Eloise said...

I had this every work day until I discovered overnight grape nuts. Just like eating cheesecake. Yum!

William Kendall said...

A first for me. I tend to go for oatmeal more in winter.

Chris said...

Not a fan! I like my oats hot but usually breakfast is just yogurt and fruit.

Linda said...

Love overnight oatmeal warmed in the microwave. I used to add the fruit the night before but now add it after warming. The oatmeal s warm enough to heat the fruit, I use 1 part oatmeal and 2 parts milk and nake 4 or 5 portions at a time.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...