Thursday, June 26, 2008

Reject tree's and other tales from the garden......

We live in a fairly new subdivision, the house will be 5 years old in the Fall. One thing the developer does is put a tree on your front lawn. Now you don't get a choice here, you get what you are given and be thankful!!! On our little corner we believe, me and my neighbour on either side of me, that we were given the reject trees. All the rest of the trees are growing like crazy and are a nice tree shape, ours, well ours have their own little personalities!!!!

Here is a photo of "A's" tree, by the way they are all Ginkgo's. Now as you can see someone has removed the middle section of their tree??? "A's" mother says it looks like a cross and is protecting the house. Regardless it's the most unusual shaped tree yet?



"R's" Tree. Actually this photo isn't too bad, but it looks as though someone has trimmed all the branches off the back of the tree, so it is flat.



Our tree. Well it looks like a stick with a few green leaves on it. Now I am guessing it is still a bit ticked off at having most of the bark chewed off two winters ago from the voles, but I did give it first aid, by tarring all the wounds. Then I guess it was even less happy this year when we piled all the snow up in it, so most of the trunk was covered up in snow, hey but at least the voles didn't eat it this year!!! At least this year its getting fed with Miracle-Gro, well I am feeding my flowers so I guess the tree is getting fed at the same time.



So there you go the reject trees in our little corner of the crescent.

Now I have to say I am pretty happy though with the little garden under the tree this year. I just threw in some plants and voila, a nice little colour scheme going here.



Here is another photo.



Now as I feel my poor old tree is a bit depressed I figured I'd cheer it up by planting a clematis at the base and get it to grow up the trunk. I actually saw a neighbour do this and thought it was a great idea!!! Though she has a really nice tree, so I know her tree isn't depressed!!



Now I dug a little garden today as I bought a Sambucus the other day on sale. Now don't panic, dh is still alive I didn't bury him there. Also despite the fact I keep saying I am going to wring our neighbours yapping Chihuahua's neck, it's still alive!!! So this isn't a grave of sorts, it just looks like a grave with a bush on top!! It will eventually fill that whole corner of the yard.



Here is a photo of my veggie patch, for some reason all my onions died, otherwise everything is growing nicely.



Here is a photo of my flower garden on the back fence. This is where I get a pail full of thistles every week, aren't I the lucky one!!



Finally, I have a small scented garden by the family room window. The idea was when we open the window and the breeze wafts in we smell the plants. That was the theory behind it all, can't say that happens in reality. We have other smells waft in, but it ain't flowery.....enough said.

In this garden I have bee balm, anise-hyssop, dianthus, sweet william and a hosta.




So there you go, another set of photo's from the garden........what am I going to talk about in the winter?????

4 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

You have a lovely garden, and if you think your tree is depressed you should talk to my whole garden. We really need to do something with it and needless to say I won't be taking any photos this year, but who knows, maybe 2009 will be my year for taking garden photos. What's that I hear "Oink, Oink, Oink, Flap, Flap, Flap" Why, I do believe it is a flock of pigs flying by - lol.

Our house is at least 25 years old and the tree the builders planted out front is the original one. Everyone on our street has a tree of the same variety. Ours is the only one that isn't, the first one to lose it's leaves in Fall and the last one to grow them in Springtime. I have gotten used to her now as after ten years she actually started looking like a real pretty tree, with strange looking leaves but a real pretty little tree.

Gill - That British Woman said...

Denise, I am glad to hear I am not the only one with an tree with its own personality!!

Vi said...

Your garden looks lovely..so green. :-)

Isn't it funny how recipes can differ depending on where we live...would love to see how you make Apple Crumble (Crisp) in Canada. :-)
Adding your blog to my must read list. :-)
Vi

Gill - That British Woman said...

thanks Vi for those lovely comments.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...