Monday, December 12, 2011

"Valley of Dreams," by Lauraine Snelling

"Valley of Dreams," by Lauraine Snelling

When Cassie Lockwood's mother died, Cassie began travelling with her father's Wild West Show. Along the way, she became an amazingly skillful trick rider and sharpshooter, likened by some to the famous Annie Oakley. When her father passed away, she continued to work with the show, having nowhere else to go.



Now Cassie has discovered that "Uncle" Jason, the show's manager, has driven the show into debt, and he's absconded with what little money was left. Devastated, Cassie decides to try to find the hidden valley in the Black Hills of South Dakota where her father had dreamed of setting down roots. She has only one clue. She needs to find three huge stones that look like fingers on a giant hand. With Chief, a Sioux Indian who's been with the act for twenty years, and Micah, the head wrangler, she leaves the show and a bundle of heartache behind and begins a wild and daring adventure.

Will they find the valley before winter closes in on them?

I found this book a little hard to get into, but by Chapter 7, I was getting there, and then in Chapter 8, didn't the author go and introduce another set of characters?  Confused the heck out of me, but it finally dawned on me what one set of characters had to do with the other.  By the end you are wanting to know what happens next; then boom it's the end of the book.  Turns out it is the first in the series of books and the next one isn't published until August 2012 :0(  I was not happy, as I feel you are left hanging there.

Stars out of 5 : 4, I enjoyed the story but I wasn't happy where the book left off, and I really don't want to wait until next August to see what happens next.........
"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.



Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

If you have a Kindle, or even if you want to download and read it on your PC, this sounds like a good book and it's free: Broadmoor Revealed: Victorian Crime and the Lunatic Asylum by Mark Stevens  Bit of a strange subject, but I thought interesting......

4 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Thanks for the review, Gill. I have a question. How do you get a photo at the top of your blog? Gorgeous pic, too.

Hugs, Kaye xoxox

Boyett-Brinkley said...

It looks like a good book but I would hate that wait that long to see what happens too! Love your header photo, BTW!

Rose said...

If you ever get the chance, red the Red River Series and the Return to Red River by Lauraine Snelling...they are some of my favorite books. I have read others by her, and not liked them nearly as well. They are ones that I would not mind reading again.

Kim said...

I haven't written my review for this book yet - but I felt exactly that same way! It just ended! No explaination - the two storylines don't even mearge until the last page - stupid!~

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...