Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas at That British Woman's House.......

Got up around 6am to make stuffing to stuff the turkey and do a couple of other things, so I could get the turkey in the oven at 7:30am.  Dh materialized just in time to pop it in the oven for me.  Mind you, you don't just "pop" a 16lb turkey anywhere, as it's bloody heavy.

Dd up next around 8-ish, closely followed by son-in-law.  Ds had to be kicked out of bed, otherwise he would have never got up!!!  Had breakfast of Cinnabons which dd had picked up and they were yummy!!

The phone then rang so that kept us all occupied for half an hour.  Finally we got around to opening the gifts, but first we gave Molly her new toys.  Dd got her the Christmas lady hedgehog and we got her the pink Gingerbread lady.
Side note: Molly isn't well, so will have to take her to the vet's this week, her lumps in her mammary glands have grown a lot.

One of the gifts I got from the kids was this:

So what you ask.  Well when I opened it this was what was inside:

Dd had decided to sample some to make sure they were alright and had eaten all the good ones and graciously left me all the "Popcorn" flavoured ones amongst others!!!  Will say she then gave me a even bigger box of them, this time not opened.

By the time we had opened all the presents, the phone rang again and so we talked and relaxed and generally spent a quiet morning doing little to nothing, while the turkey was cooking away.

I made a start in the kitchen around 11.30 am with a brief pause to listen to the Queen's speech.  Everything stops for the Queen's speech in our house.  Here's hoping Prince Phillip gets out of hospital soon.

I made dessert, which was a sponge cake filled with fresh cream and raspberries picked from the garden in the summer and covered with fresh cream, raspberries and grated chocolate, it was good.  My mam had sent me over these cakes pans from Lakeland to make this with. 
We finally got sat down to our turkey dinner at 2pm and were probably finished eating by 2:30pm.  We had turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, carrot and turnip mashed, bread sauce and gravy.  We don't have too much as we don't want to be eating it for weeks to come.  For dessert there was the cake and a fresh fruit platter.  As everyone washed up, I stripped the turkey and put the carcass in the freezer to make soup with later.  Made up two plates of left overs for the kids to take home.  Put together two casseroles for the freezer, so all we are left with is a large plate of turkey and stuffing for sandwiches.

By the time everything was cleared away it was probably close to 3:30pm.  The kids were watching a movie, and as I had been sipping on a glass of wine.......which believe me is very unusual for me to drink alcohol....I ended up going in the living room as I said it was too warm in the family room, and fell asleep for a while.  Alcohol makes me sleepy.

Dd and son-in-law left at 5pm to go to their next port of call, son-in-law's dad's side of the family.  Ds left sometime after 6pm to go home and probably sleep.  We sat down and watched Marley and Me, which wasn't the best idea as it ended sadly and so I had a cry!!!

Went to bed straight after watching that, as both of us were worn out by another Christmas Day!!!!

I hope you had a lovely Christmas day, as I did enjoy ours, other than the ending of the movie!

12 comments:

John Going Gently said...

belated christmas greetings gil xxx

Nancy said...

Sounds like a great day! Sorry about the sad movie -- I don't like sad movies about animals either. :)

Valerie said...

A good day for you. Reading about it made me feel a trifle guilty for going out and being waited on. Still, there's only two of us so it was the wisest move.

Maggie said...

Glad you had a great day :-)

Sorry Molly's not well, i hope things are OK when you take her to the vets.

Scrappy quilter said...

Sounds like a great day. If you can get the movie HELP, it's one great movie. That's what we watched last night. Hugs

Joolz said...

It sounds like a lovely, relaxing day. Mine was a little more hectic but good fun, just the same. My feet are still recovering!

Cheers - Joolz

Evelyn said...

gill sounds like a great family oriented Christmas

Stella Jones said...

We had a lovely day too. I'm sorry that Molly is poorly. I bet you're not looking forward to taking her to the vet again.
I bet the raspberry cake was nice.

beagleAnnie said...

Glad you had a nice day. I hope Molly gets well soon.

Andi's English Attic said...

Glad your day was fun.

Good luck, Molly. Hope everything is OK. xx

Kaisievic said...

HI Gill, Belated Christmas wishes from me - sorry I didn't get to do so earlier. Sounds like you had a fabulous day.

Hugs, Kaye xoxox

Karine said...

I'm glad you had a nice Christmas Day! As for Molly, I hope she checks out okay, I will say prayers for her.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...