Saturday, February 10, 2024

Follow up to two prior posts

1. The Fridge

Back in December my fridge was playing up.  The day before my warranty expired (sheer luck there) I called and they scheduled a visit for a repair guy.

He came the week later diagnosed the issues and said he would return when he had the parts.

Just before Christmas he returned with a circuit board which he replaced.  Also he brought a new door seal, mine had torn.  Tried to take it off the door it was glued on.  Left it and said he would see what's what.  Turns out they needed to replace the whole door; which too my mind is a major design flaw.

Got a call in the New Year to say the door would take 4 - 6 months to arrive.  I said fine as it was the outer seal that was torn not the inner, so the fridge was remaining at temperature.

Fast forward to the beginning of last week and the guy turns up with the door.  The didn't send the handle or the inserts, just the door (we used the ones from the old door)...LOL  I guess KitchenAid has to save money somewhere.

The repair guy said the door was worth $800, then include his labour and that was a $1,000 visit.  You can buy a cheap fridge for that price. (see here)  Good news the new circuit board has done the trick and so far hasn't turned off.

Now for the bad news, I have no warranty on either my fridge or stove.  However, as per the repair guy the life expectancy of these appliances is under 10 years 😕 Which begs the question, why buy expensive appliances in the first place when they will only last a few years????

2. Hearing Aids

Again back in December hubby went to get his hearing tested, after he heard I had survived the test; yes I have to go first so that he would go!!  The test showed he needed hearing aids and she suggested applying to Worker's Comp. (WSIB) as he lost his hearing due to his work environment.

He wasn't keen on applying but he did, and multiple forms later, (I know our life involves lots of forms) he has been approved.  He should get the letter this coming week and then he will go to the store to see what's what.

He only needs them when there is a lot of background noise; he cannot wear them at work due to the noise.  His hearing loss is typical for someone his age, and the fact he has worked in noisy factories all his life.

The funny thing is, he was saying that all of a sudden, warning signs have been popping up all over the factory about the high noise level and advising people to wear noise protection.

Too little, too late for hubby!

6 comments:

angela said...

When ever I have to buy a new appliance I always just go for the basic model. I don’t need to to drive me to school
Do my taxes or do cartwheels all over the place. Just be fit for the purpose is all I ask.
The irony is. These basic models last lll get as there are less features to fail
And much cheaper. Win win

Linda said...

Tommy's refrigerator will never tear up! Too bad. It is probably the cheapest thing in the store when he bought it, and it is so inadequate. One shelf is about 18 high with lots of useless space. Crisper drawers will go in or come out.

Tommy will not get a hearing appointment. He has finally quit yelling about it, so I told him today that I was getting an appointment for both of us at same time. He said nothing, so he will go now.

If it took me going first, I would. I am glad you did not die.
Practical Parsimony

JiCaLu said...

So glad your hubby is getting his stuff via WSIB! As for the fridge and stove, that is so unfortunate! They don't make things to last anymore, and don't care to take care of their products either.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

They seem to have built-in obsolesence in so many things these days. Our fridge and stove are both well over 13 years old and I know they're living on borrowed time. We brought our own appliances to this apartment because they were both practically new but we know that when these die we'll be forced to use the apartment sized ones they provide. Dread the day of having to go back to coil elements on the stove and no convection and a fridge with the freezer on the top.

Jackie said...

They certainly don't make things to last like they used to that is for sure. I hate when things start going wrong with appliances.

God bless.

Karen said...

I'm hanging on to my old appliances until they die. My neighbour was a repair foreman for a major department store before he retired. He still dabbles and keeps us running. He has nothing good to say about anything built in the past ten or fifteen years.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...