Saturday, November 4, 2023

Saga of the dentist........

I said the other day health wise things have not been the best and a visit to the dentist made things a lot worse health wise for me.  Grab yourself a cup of tea/coffee, and sit yourself down for the tale of my visit to the dentist!

So back on September 19th, I went into the dentist for my twice yearly cleaning and may I add, PAIN FREE!!!  They do x-rays once per year and this was the time.  The hygienist cleans my teeth and the dentist comes in and pokes around in my mouth and they mutter too one another.  He then announces I need two fillings at the top as they are starting to flake?

Now that is an expression I have never heard before.  So I say, didn't you just do one of those fillings...

He takes a look and says, "Oh yes, we only did one in October, we won't charge you to refill that! The other one is an old one, so you'll have to pay for that one."

I say okay, go and make an appointment for September 21st to have them done.

Go back on the 21st, and Dr. Eva does the fillings.  While she was drilling out the one, she touched my nerve.  I about jump out of the chair so she freezes that area more.  I can still feel it slightly but just want the whole thing finished with.  I go on my merry way with my frozen mouth.

Fast forward until the morning of Saturday the 23rd and I am having my breakfast.  I have a sip of coffee and I about jump out of the chair.  All sorts of pain shooting through my tooth area where I had the two fillings.  I think nothing more of it, figuring it's a one off.........wrong, wrong, wrong.........

By the Thursday I was past myself, so called into the dentist and said I am in agony with these fillings, they are throbbing all the time and every time I drink either hot or cold, the pain just shoots through those teeth.  Someone finally calls me back and tells me that the dentist has sent a prescription through to the pharmacy for some antibiotics.  Take those and she'll see me on the 13th of October, and if I am no better I may need a root canal........excuse me😮

I start taking the antibiotics but they are not making a dent in the pain.  I go to the family doctor on October 3rd for something else and mention my mouth as by now I am miserable as my mouth is killing me.  He has a look and tells me to take these stronger antibiotics to see if that will help as my mouth is all red and swollen.  

BUT, I now have to take probiotics as the antibiotics are killing my stomach.  By the Thursday the 5th I could stand it no longer so called the dentist and she agreed to see me.  By now I am in so much pain I couldn't tell her which tooth was hurting.  She offered to do root canals on both teeth..........I refused point blank as all my teeth have cracked and I have had numerous teeth out.  I have had a root canal before and they cracked my tooth.

So "we" decided to wait until the 13th of October to see if things settled down and they could see where the pain was coming from.  Went back on the 13th of October and we figured out which tooth it was.  "We" decided to have an extraction and when I went to book it, she said the earliest I could go in was the 26th of October.  I had a hissy fit and they "managed" to squeeze me in on the 17th of October.

When I went in on the 17th, I made a point of talking to the office manager and told her the whole sorry story.  I basically said, it's all well and good that I have insurance, but it only covers 80% of the costs.  I came into the office on September 19th pain free and here we are on the 17th of October and I am having to have an extraction.  She agreed to pick up the 20% not covered.

Fast forward to the beginning of November and it's finally getting better.  It has stung on and off since I have had the extraction, but it is finally settling down.

So if you were to ask me how I feel about dentists, I wouldn't have a favourable opinion at the moment.  It has been over a month of misery and I put the full blame on the dentist.  Sorry if you are a dentist or work in a dentist office, but I am not a fan anymore!

What's your thoughts about this saga?




9 comments:

Jeanie said...

It sounds just horrible. And makes me nervous. My dentist retired and I've only been to the new one once. I'm feeling some sensitivity that I think needs to be dealt with before my January check up. So... I know what I'll be thinking about when I go...

Jackie said...

Ouch Gill. I feel your pain.

Our insurance no longer covers root canals, crowns, or the endodontist work I had done. I will be heading into the dentist again on the 21st of this month to get a cracked crown replaced. There is only a 50/50 chance that it can be done.... Perhaps I will be getting an extraction as well.

Dentist disliker here as well. My story is more from when I was a child. Perhaps I will share that soon.

God bless

Cheryl said...

Never had a problem like yours but I hate dentist. I need a double shot of novocaine to not feel pain. Do bad under anesthesia.

maureenlthompson said...

That is awful you had to go through all of that. I hope it settles down for you soon and you have no further trouble. I dislike dentists too.

Maggie said...

What an awful experience, makes you wonder if it was something the dentist did to cause all that pain. Glad you are on the mend now and that everything settles down again.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh my goodness - how awful! I live in fear every time I go to the dentist because I know I have two cracked teeth and one of these times they're either going to break or he's going to want to 'do something'. I refuse to go the root canal route so I guess it will be extraction. We don't have a dental plan so have to pay the entire thing up front. Our previous dentist told me I needed two root canals to the tune of well over a thousand dollars each and I asked him just who did he think was going to pay for it. Switched dentists and when I asked the new one about the possibility of root canals he was horrified. Told me I had absolutely no need for such a thing. Makes you wonder if the first dentist wasn't simply wanting to make money and didn't care if you needed the procedure or not. Proves, when it comes to that sort of thing, it's best to get a second opinion.
Hope you're on the mend now and that there's no more pain.

Karen said...

Ugh, I feel your pain. I went through a very similar ordeal exactly one year ago.

Scarlet said...

I had something similar, though it took a much shorter time between filling and extraction. When he examined before extraction he blew cold air on it. I almost leapt from the chair. I've got a decent pain threshold, have given birth without pain relief and had an ectopic pregnancy that was at the point of rupture when they operated for which I'd taken no pain relief beforehand , but that pain in my tooth was off the scale.
I have a new dentist now, and went this morning. Honestly, it's like another world compared to the old place in terms of care.

Rose said...

I just have to comment and say I feel your pain...had something just as bad,or worse happen to me...but way too long to go into on here. I just wish I had taken the time to go to the powers that be about the dentist/whole business.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...