Sunday, November 26, 2023

Bonus Redemption Week

 If you're in Canada, you'll know exactly what that title means.  Shopper's Drug Mart are having their "Mega Bonus Redemption Week." The equivalent store in the US is CVS, in the UK, Boots.  We collect points when we shop there or in any other of the Presidents Choice brand stores.  I also have a Presidents Choice Mastercard and earn points on that as well.

You normally get $1 per 1,000 points when you cash them in.  As you can see you can get more for your points during this bonus redemption time which happens at this level once per year around Black Friday time.

I was lucky and had enough points to be able to cash in 130,000 points to get $200 worth of product in the store for free.  A lot of folk cash their points in the electronics, especially Nintendo and PS5's that sort of thing.  I neither want nor do I need that sort of thing, so I just stock up on everyday things.

The key to all of this is that you have to have enough product before the 13% taxes are added.  So I needed to spend $200 before tax, to be able to cash in the points.  I was a bit bummed as I only had one coupon to use and that was for the BOOM CHICKA POP snacks; and that was a buy one get on free.  Still I saved over $6 on those with the coupon, and I'll use the snacks for our get together next week.

You can never have enough toilet paper.  Remember when toilet paper was in short supply during COVID?
So it took me a full hour of going round the store to get all that and tally it all up.  As you can see it added up to $201.07 before the taxes were added.  
After I cashed in my points, I paid $21.91 out of pocket.  We are stocked up on a number of things so all in all, it was a productive 1 1/2 hours, which includes driving time to and from the store.

I came home and flaked out in the chair.......seems I am not fully recovered from this cold!

Did any of you who are in Canada cash in your points?

5 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

We save our points and buy groceries when we go out to BC to visit our family - that way they don't have to come up with extra money and it helps them out. Once or twice a year we might use some of the points if there's a real good deal on meat and stock up a little for ourselves. Looks like you got a good haul!

Joy said...

Absolutely wow - that is an amazing saving. xx

Christy said...

I was just at Shoppers this morning for the same reason! I did the 250,000 for $400. I always stock up and buy some Christmas gifts during this event. My Mom has over a million points so will be getting lots of free things this week!

50 and counting said...

I find Shoppers to be expensive on redemption days. I tend to cash in $50 worth of points at a time when I hit Superstore and then put a $50 bill in a jar at home.

Between cashing in our PC points and airmiles this year, I've got just over $1500 in the jar for our February holiday spending money.

It's the credit card that earns the points quickly, so all major purchases go on the card.

Jackie said...

I so wish we lived where there was a Shopper's Drug Mart. You did very well with your points.

God bless.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...