Friday, January 10, 2020

Pillow and sheets....

In all the flyers it seems as though it's the time of year to replace your linens in your home.  I googled it and the best time of year to buy them is January/February.

All of this works out well for me, as I have been suffering with chronic neck pain and knew it was time to replace my pillow.  As per this article you should replace your pillow every couple of years.  When I went to look for a pillows I was overwhelmed with the choices, so had to narrow down what I needed in a pillow.  The one I had was this type of pillow:

It wasn't working for me anymore, so I decided to go a different route.  Here is what I needed in a pillow:


  • It had to be firm, I like a bit of body in my pillow.
  • I suffer from hot flashes, so having the cooling gel in it was a priority
  • I did not want to spend over $100 on a pillow
I was shocked to say the least at the price of some of the pillows I was looking at, but couldn't justify paying over $100 for a pillow, despite the fact I am desperate for a decent nights sleep.

After looking around for the past couple of weeks, I stumbled upon this one from Bed, Bath and Beyond and best of all it had 20% off the price:
You can read more about it here.  I woke up after my first night sleeping on it, without neck pain.........YEAH!!  It's a bit stiff but overall I am happy with it.  If you are looking for a pillow with similar features, this one may be worth a try?

I was in Home Hardware of all places the other day and I stumbled upon a display of microfibre sheet sets.  They were only $19.99 a set; so I picked up two sets.

Now I personally think that cotton sheets are the most cooling fabric to sleep on.  Whereas microfibre sheets are a warmer fabric to sleep on; and due to the fact that hubby finds it cold in our bedroom, it's the least I can do is buy the sheets that feel warmer.  

Also the microfibre sheets are easier to look after, and dry faster and don't need ironing!!  Which I think is a major bonus.  We have been using these types of sheets for a few years now and love them for their durability and price.  

I also saw similar sheet sets in Canadian Tire for the same price as well.  The ladies in Home Hardware were saying they had all bought multiple sets, and why not at that price?

Do you prefer cotton sheets over other fabric?

5 comments:

Jackie said...

Great deal on those sheets!!

In the winter I use flannel sheets once it gets really cold out.

I love the pillow. I am in search of decent new pillows as well.

God bless.

Meg B. said...

I cannot bear any kind of sheet other than white, 100% cotton percale. I also have to have down pillows, and a down comforter. I use pillow protectors, which I make out of white cotton (usually old sheets) which help keep my pillows fresh longer. The sheets get washed every 3 days, the pillow covers monthly. I also use down comforters. They are expensive, but they keep us warm in the winter, cool in the summer.
To make changing beds easier, all kids have the same size bed, (full) and white cotton sheets as well. They can pick the color of their comforter covers.
I briefly tried a memory foam mattress when it was time to replace ours. I hated it. It went back after two weeks. I felt like I was sleeping in a sponge. They tossed in a cooling gel pillow, and I disliked it as well.

Practical Parsimony said...

I like cotton sheets. In the winter I use flannel sheets in the winter. At Belk's I found a pillow with two sides one for warm and one was for cooling. It was on sale and I love it. I think I paid $30 for it.

Karen said...

I too need to have pure cotton sheets. I found 100% organic sheets for a song at Winners yesterday. We are in the market for a feather bed right now.

William Kendall said...

I should probably get a new pillow.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...