Thursday, October 19, 2017

Sleep...........

This article arrived in my inbox the other day all about sleep.

One of my favourite things about my FitBit is the sleep app part of it.  I love how it shows you not only how long you slept for, but what different types of sleep cycles you went through each given night.

You usually move from light sleep to deep sleep, back to light then onto REM.  

You can be awake between 10 - 30 times per night, but most are so short you will not remember them.  

REM typically occurs later at night and has been shown to improve your mood and memory. During this stage your dreams are more vivid, your heartbeat is elevated and your breathing faster.

Light sleep is very important, it makes up most of your night and promotes mental and physical restoration.

Deep sleep helps with physical recovery and helps with memory and learning.  If you wake up feeling refreshed you probably had a good deep sleep.

On an average night I should be awake 12% to 24% of the time.  In REM 15% to 25% of the time. Light sleep 40% to 60% of the time and deep sleep 8% to 16% of the time.

Everyone is different.  Me personally, I do best if I can sleep 9 hours per night.  If I could sleep longer I could and I would!!  I need my sleep.  I average around 8 hours sleep per night.

The other night for instance these were my numbers:

Awake: 9%
REM : 18%
Light Sleep: 56%
Deep Sleep: 17%

I also tend to fall into a deep sleep right away as per my FitBit.

Are you a good sleeper?

5 comments:

Jackie said...

Sometimes I know I have slept very well. I wake up refreshed and ready to face the day.

I find if I sleep too long my body gets all achy and I have trouble getting through the day.

God bless.

William Kendall said...

I'm fairly good in terms of sleeping. I get about eight hours a night, and generally feel rested. It's quite rare, but the odd night I have a rough night.

angela said...

I used to wear my Fitbit to bed. But it kinda left a burn mark. So now I don’t.
But I’m not a good sleeper. Pain wakes me constantly
But I manage

Practical Parsimony said...

I need 7.5 hours of sleep usually. However, after a hard day, it might take 10 or 12 hours to recover. I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome, so sleep is not refreshing some nights. It might take three days to recover! I take melatonin in order to fall asleep. Of course, last night, I slept from 7 one night to 9:30 am. Then, I awoke feeling like I had been beat up.

Jane said...

My sleep pattern really varies - some nights I sleep straight through for 8 hours usually, other nights I'm up to the washroom several times. Supposedly we are supposed to need less sleep as we age but I would say I sleep more now than when I was working. I was lucky to get 6.5 hours per night when I was teaching. I'm grateful now to not wake up feeling tired before the day even begins!

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...