Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Vegetarian and recipe...........

I am not a vegetarian and probably never will be but, I am eating less and less meat as the years pass by.  Last week I did have some bacon on a Caesar salad, but that was it.  I am trying to incorporate more fibre and vegetables in my diet as the older I am getting my digestive system seems to be changing.

After making my veggie and lentil curry for the past couple of weeks, I decided to make a chickpea and vegetable curry.  I mean who does not love cooking a meal where all you do is cut up veggies, throw them in a pan, add some spices and other ingredients and let it all bubble away for half an hour?  And the best thing of all is you can use up what you have.

So here is a photo of what I used in my chickpea and vegetable curry:


As you can see, I used carrots, onions, half a package of frozen spinach sort of defrosted, an orange bell pepper, a big can of chickpeas (got it on clearance for 50 cents), 1/2 can coconut milk, large can diced tomatoes, dash of olive oil and two heaped teaspoons of Patak mild curry paste, salt and pepper and the garlic from the hummus.

For some strange reason, our local Walmart has trouble keeping the regular Sabra Hummus in stock, and for my lunch I love hummus and rice crackers.  I had to pick up the garlic hummus which I find too garlicky for me.  So I decided to use the garlic in the hummus in my curry, see all that garlic in the middle of the tub:
To a lot of people this type of recipe is something they make all the time, for me it's something new and I am loving it.


I made some brown basmati rice as a side just because if I give dh the curry he'll need more carbs.  I will have a little rice but fill up on the curry itself.  This big pan will be enough for dh and I for one nights supper and me for another three or four nights supper.  I'll just cook something else for dh the other nights I am eating this; he likes his meat!!!

Also with the cooler nights, this is both filling and warming for the body.


8 comments:

Evelyn said...

looks yummy Gill!

mamasmercantile said...

Looks delicious.

Jenn Jilks said...

Good work. I find it hard cooking for hubby, he cannot have dairy, yeast or eggs. I like them, myself!

Northern Living Allowance said...

Looks delicious! Yesterday I actually made that red lentil curry you posted about last week. Like you, I find it quite bland and flavourless, which is a shame. It's quite nice and filling (I have enough for about three lunches!), but disappointing that it's not tastier. Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know that. It sounds like you're doing really well. One pot meals are just what I need! xx

Karen said...

Bulk Barn and Metro seem to always have a good selection and supply of Sambra in my town.

William Kendall said...

It sounds good.

Jackie said...

Harvey is the same way, he loves his meat. Little does he know that I have cut down the amount of meat I use in my recipes by half.

I am trying more soups, but that veggie curry looks interesting and could just be something that we would both enjoy.

God bless.

Jane said...

Now that's my kind of meal!! I try to serve several meat-free meals each week. It's good for my body and good for the environment too to eat less meat.

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...