Friday, May 6, 2016

So here we go a long term project.........

I made a start on The Beekeeper's Quilt, on Thursday at our Sit and Knit session.  Both Angie and I are going to make one each and I am pleased to say she walked me through the pattern.  I would not have been able to decipher the pattern on my own, so was grateful for her help.  Although I can knit I only really do pretty basic stuff.

I am using the 3.5 mm dpn's (double pointed needles) as suggested in the pattern, along with Paton's Canadiana Yarn.  Angie is using 5 mm dpn's and a similar thickness yarn; slightly thicker than mine.

This is what our first hexie turned out like.  I stuffed mine and it's around 3 inches high, and Angie did not stuff hers.
They come together quite quickly once you get the hang of it.
I also learned some new skills in knitting, so all in all a good thing.  I figure I may need around 400 - 600 of these hexie's so as I said in the title, this is a long term project!

10 comments:

Betsy said...

Great job on the hexie! I just started a Memory blanket made up of 3 inch knitted squares. I'm using a 2.25 mm needle. It will definitely be a long term project. I thought about doing hexies but ultimately decided on squares made of sock yarn. Happy knitting!
Blessings,
Betsy

Jean said...

I like the look of the hexie, tho not sure I would have the patience. I will have to look for a crochet version of these. My father kept bees and I helped him out many a time so this was a nice reminder of those days. Thank you

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

Looks like a project that you'll be able to pick up and work on anywhere. The first hexie looks great.

mamasmercantile said...

That is some project, it will be amazing once complete. Happy knitting.

William Kendall said...

That's going to keep you busy!

Jackie said...

Looks very nice. I bet the project will look wonderful once you are finished it.

God bless.

Anonymous said...

Your hexagon knitting reminds me of a blanket I made over 30 years ago of knitted hexagons. It was a pattern in a woman's magazine for a hot water bottle cover. I can't remember if I intended to knit the cover and it just grew or if I had decided to do a blanket instead. Anyway it was on number 8 needles (4mm) with double knitting wool and the instructions were to cast on 10 stitches knit one row, then increase one stitch at the beginning of every row until there are 18 stitches on the needle, knit two rows and then decrease one stitch at the beginning of every row until there are 10 stitches left, knit one row. Quite easy. I can still remember the instructions after all this time. It was done in garter stitch.

Joan (Wales)

Fat Dormouse said...

I suspect that is a project to keep you busy for quite some time!!

angela said...

They look great. Could you post a pic of one half way done. So I can see how your making them. Maybe a tutorial post. That would be fab xxx

Kaisievic said...

Really lovely idea, Gill, I love it - gorgeous pink, too.