Saturday, April 30, 2016

Some things I am whining about.......



Had a run in with the garbage man, as he wouldn't take my green bin as it contained yard waste as well as food waste.  I thought if the green bin wasn't full you could top it up with yard waste.  Have done this time and time again and had no problem.  Things have changed so he said and no yard waste is allowed???  He then said in loud slow words; "DO YOU UNDERSTAND?"

I thought to myself, I speak English and I am not deaf......should have said it out loud, but couldn't be bothered to argue with him anymore, so walked off.

Went through the MacDonald's drive through and ordered a couple of coffee's, a couple of muffins and asked for butter.  There is one woman who works there that has a problem with my accent.  By the time I had gone through the order numerous times and two other cars had gone through the other lane with their orders, we got it right.  By this time I was ready to bang my head against the dashboard.

By the way, the way I pronounce "butter" was the major stumbling block in all of this.  Canadians pronounce it "BUDDER."

At the beginning of the month I sent a 11 1/2 " by 15 " envelope to New Zealand.  I sent the same envelope with the same stuff in it to Prince Edward Island in Canada on Friday.  Not only did it cost more to send to PEI, it will take bloody longer also!!!  Not sure what to say other than Canada Post sucks..........

Finally I own a delightful Ford Fiesta.  Great little car, other than the bloody transmission.  There is a known problem with the transmission and I have had mine replaced.  I have also had it reprogrammed twice and I feel there is still a problem.  They have told me I have to live with it, but after "juttering" around town yesterday I had, had enough.  So I marched into the dealership and told them they HAVE to do something.  I take it next Wednesday for them to test drive it with the computer?  What that will do who knows, but at least they are doing something.

I think they probably knew by my demeanor I wasn't in the mood to be fobbed off again!

Now a bit of good news after all that moaning.  I "think" we have a guy lined up to do the drywall in the basement.  Dh has to go over the fine details with him, but it should be a go; I am hoping by the end of May.  The guy seemed alright and his price was not the cheapest, but not the dearest.  So fingers crossed it all works out.


12 comments:

Andi's English Attic said...

Over here the green bin is for food waste AND garden waste. However our plastics/tin/glass bin wasn't emptied because it contained one paper napkin. No paper, you see. Although they don't seem bothered by the paper labels on tin cans and wine bottles.

Anna of Mutton Style and Years said...

Goodness. Seems we're all suffering from rude people these days. Just reading Christines blog and similar theme. It's a phenomenon

mamasmercantile said...

You are certainly not having a good time of it at the moment, hopefully things will get better. Any news of that new Grandbaby yet?

Jackie said...

Here in Saskatchewan we pronounce butter as butter....You would be understood perfectly here.

We don't have a green bin instead we have a black bin for food waste and yard waste...the blue bin is for anything recyclable but never food or yard waste. To me if you can't recycle it, it goes in the black bin.....

God bless.

William Kendall said...

That do you understand was totally uncalled for. I'd file a complaint against the mouthy bastard.

maureenlthompson said...

From one Brit to another I so understand your frustrations. When I mail Christmas cards from here in the US to England, Scotland and Canada they always get to the UK a lot quicker than to Canada and I know it's not held up in the US.

Bloody rude dustman! I say.

And as for ordering in the drive through, well, it's a hoot sometimes lol. What can I say? not our fault they don't speak proper English!

Betsy said...

What a time you've had. I agree that the garbage man was completely and unnecessarily rude. Our green bin is for yard and food waste and I've never had them refuse anything I put in it.
I hope they get your car situation sorted out. That is so frustrating to me. I always get the "we can't duplicate the problem in our shop" excuse. Here's to a happy Saturday.
Blessings,
Betsy

Mum said...

My fingers are crossed for you and I hope everything goes according to plan.
xx

Winifred said...

Oh dear sounds like a bad day.

Our wheelie bins are all separate & now they charge for emptying our brown bin garden stuff away. It's a cheek when the Council tax is so high.

Our recycling bin which they only empty every fortnight is always choc a bloc but the general waste on they empty every week has hardly anything in it. Mad!

Maybe that Bolshie dustbin man thought you were deaf. You could have used some sign language back to him!!!!!

Hope the car gets fixed soon.

Fran said...

How horrible, I hope you have a better week this week. I had a Ford Fiesta and loved it but unfortunately I put it into the back of a lorry, but that's another story! Xxx

Maria said...

I so know what you mean by accents. My stepdaughter is working in Canada (hopes to live there for ever as she is in love!) and she tells some great stories about not being understood...and surely Aussie English isn't that bad! Lol

Joolz said...

Hi Gill

We (my hubby and I) are Ford dealers here in Australia and the Fiesta has the same problem. My daughter owned one until recently when she traded it in on a Focus with us. She had had the clutches replaced once and it had been reprogrammed many times but the problem was still there. Ford have given all these problem cars an extended warranty to 5 years. Has your warranty been extended?

Even though they said there's not much more they can do, please stand your ground and demand that the transmission be replaced. If it is a case of shuddering and not moving off at correct pace, it is not safe - that's what we hated about our daughter's car. She has to cross over a busy main road and sometimes the vehicle just wouldn't get out of its own shadow!

Write letters and document what repairs you have had done and state that you are very unhappy with it. I hope you get somewhere with it.

Cheers - Joolz xx

Hotel Stay

First of all thank you for all your birthday wishes.  Each and every one of them was greatly appreciated.  The kids bought me/us an overnigh...