Tuesday, March 31, 2015

All it took was an hour and a half.........

And I have three meals and part of another meal all ready to go.

I made two chicken "pies," which consists of three chicken breasts chopped up with an onion and mushrooms chopped and sauted.  Make some gravy and add to the chicken and simmer.  I had some leftover frozen mixed veg that needed using up, so added that and divided it between the two dishes.  I could have only used two chicken breasts as they were quite large.
The egg pie consists of hard boiled eggs halved, and topped with cheese sauce, recipe here.
I made a big pan of mashed potatoes and a packet of stuffing mix.  I placed half the prepared stuffing mixture on top of the chicken and veggies and filled in both sides with mashed potatoes and did the same with the other one.  I topped the egg pie also with mashed potatoes, and had a bowl of mashed potatoes leftover.

As everything is cooked, all you need to is pop it in the microwave to heat through, or pop into a 350 oF oven until heated through.

I pulled out a couple of chicken breasts only to discover they were ones I had stuffed with cheese and broccoli, so Wednesday's meal plan has changed from chicken strips and salad, to stuffed chicken breasts with potato pancakes, using the leftover mashed potatoes and probably peas.

It took me around and hour and a half to prepare, cook everything and wash up.

Can't believe it is the end of March, the month has gone by fast, just wish it would heat up a bit.....

19 comments:

Kitty Greene said...

Those meals look great, well done you. I like the 'egg pie' - lots of protein in there.
Sadly people just don't seem to want to invest 'time' in food preparation these days, they would sooner pay over the odds for preservative laden fast foods which destroy their health and bank balance - dare I use the 'L' word - 'lazy' - ?
Nice post

The Cranky said...

Hmmmm. Brilliant idea Gill!

I love cooking but some days I just can't... this is a great solution. =)

'Borrowing'.

Joolz said...

Good job with the pre-prepared meals - so handy if you are busy or get home late.

And yes, just where did March go? The year is flying !

EG CameraGirl said...

I think March went by quickly too but I have been exceptionally busy and that makes the time go by more quickly! I love it that you were able to make three meals in only an hour and a half! Andy they sound yummy too!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Everything looks so yummy!

It truly is astonishing how March has come and gone.

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

You are well prepared for the upcoming week. I made a similar chicken dish but added no yolk egg noodles, really tasty. I love cooking on the weekend and made 5 dinners for in the week.

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog while looking around at different blogs blog lists. I've enjoyed checking out yours. I love cooking ahead when I can especially chicken pot pie. Last week I made 2 chicken pot pies & another chicken dish. Yesterday I made a big pot of minestrone. It helps a lot when I just can't cook. I'm wondering if there is a possibility of subscribing to your blog by email? I didn't see it but thought I'd ask. I will try to check it now & then if not but hope it can be done. Thanks

Country Gal said...

Oh looks YUMMY ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

William Kendall said...

The results look delicious!

Stella Jones said...

Your sort of food is very good for us. More people should do it. I do the same, not all the time but it started when I had five to feed every day. It is more economical and more delicious to eat like this. Keep the recipes coming and inspire more people with your example.

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

Yum, they look so nice and tasty, especially your chicken pies. I love when I'm organised enough to make meals in advance, it's definitely worth it xx

Anna of Mutton Style and Years said...

Those look and sound really very tasty. I shall have a cooking day soon and make those. I'll save the recipe page when I get home to my laptop.

Cheapchick said...

Looks tasty - meal planning certainly makes your life easier.

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

It all looks so yummy !

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I have to say that Egg Pie looks tempting. I guess it would be easy enough to scale down {as I'm the only vegetarian in the house} so might have to give it a go.
I love mash potato too, and make mine up with other veggies through it, such as swede, butternut squash, or carrot. All freeze brilliantly.
~~~Deb in Wales

Unknown said...

You are killing me Gill. All that lovely, smooth, creamy, buttery mash. Paleo is killing my food dreams.

Linda said...

This is fantastic, Gill, and everything looks delicious! :)

PJ said...

Pie looks yummy!! The first 3 months of 2015 couldn't have gone by quicker!

Practical Parsimony said...

Those look like great meals, tasty. I need to start cooking casserole meals ahead.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...