Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Bytown........

 Bytown was the original name of Ottawa.  It was founded in 1826 and was located where the Rideau Canal meets the Ottawa River.  Here is a link to more history on Bytown.

There is a museum there now and we visited it.  Following are some photos from there.

Here is a link to the Bytown Museum.  This was the cheapest museum to visit, and it is the smallest.  However, I did find it very interesting.

I had hoped you would be able to read the info on the photos, but I don't think you will be able.




There are eight locks from the Rideau Canal down to the Ottawa River.  The building in the top left of the photo is the hotel Chateau Laurier.  Hubby wouldn't go into the lobby, so we didn't go inside of it. BOO 😒
This is looking down towards the Ottawa river.
It takes a boat 1 1/2 hours to travel through the locks.  Boats are charged $2 per foot ; size of boat to travel through the locks.
They were cleaning out the garbage from the locks and doing maintenance on them when we were there.  The guy we were talking to did say they had a few boats due to go down the locks later in the day.  It was a a bit quieter than normal he said for a weekend.

Also for some reason I forgot when going down the hill to the museum, I would have to get back up!!!!  Those steps were flipping steep!!


No comments:

Bytown........

 Bytown was the original name of Ottawa.  It was founded in 1826 and was located where the Rideau Canal meets the Ottawa River.  Here is a l...