Monday, May 27, 2024

35 years and counting...........

This is a Bank Holiday in the UK and yesterday (Sunday) it was 35 years ago that we arrived in Canada.

Those 35 years have flown by and despite being full of up and downs, we have no regrets.  As a family we have grown from strength to strength.  The kids has grown into productive members of society and have given us a super son-in-law and daughter-in-law.  Along with 4 wonderful grandchildren.

Hubby started work at his current and only job in Canada on June 6th 1989.  His last day of physical work there will be at the end of September and he will be formerly retired at the end of the year.  Hubby has only had two places of work since he started work 50 years ago in September.  One in the UK and one here in Canada.

Canada has been good to us; but like everywhere in the world we have seen many changes and not all for the good.

Thank you Canada for having us, and here's to many more years of adventures in this country we call home!

6 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Happy Canada-versary! So glad you've loved it here.

My Piece of Earth said...

As of the middle of June I have been in Canada 70 years, where did that time go.

Coming as a 12 year old, however, I felt cheated out of family get togethers, birthdays, weddings, Christmas, funerals and all the others too numerous to mention. Back in '54 there was not much spare money to hop on a plane for a visit. As a result, it felt as if they never existed.

I now have my own family, twenty three and counting, Canada has been good to me and my family, would not like to live anywhere else, this is home.



Maggie said...

Congratulations on a successful move, very brave of you both, it's not something I think I could have ever done.

Jackie said...

We born here Canadians are so lucky to have you here. I am glad that Canada has welcomed you with open arms. This is what Canada is.

God bless.

50 and counting said...

My family arrived 58 years ago. As "my piece of earth" said we missed much. Airmail took two weeks, phone calls were expensive and air travel was as well.

I barely know my UK and Australian cousins.

Todays immigrants don't realize what we endured to thrive here. And no, not of all of thrived. It was an expensive return to the UK for a few families my parents knew.

Rose said...

I am glad you have been happy in Canada and have no regrets. Is your husband anxious to be formally retired? Does he have plans of what he wants to do with his time? When Roger first retired, he felt like he was doing something wrong with not going in to work every day. He just felt strange.

Sunday Song..........

May not be the best singers out there, but a very catchy tune!