Thursday, July 25, 2019

Progress Report on the diet and exercise regime...

Back here I wrote about how I had been told by the doctor, that if I don't lose weight, exercise and change my eating habits, I was going to have to be put on diabetes medication.  

So here we are just over a month later and I thought I'd update you on how things are going.

We went to see the dietitian and the kinesiologist/diabetes educator.  Have to say it wasn't very helpful seeing the kinesiologist/diabetes educator; but did learn a couple of helpful things from the dietitian.  Which were:


  1. every 4 grams of sugar per serving = 1 teaspoon of sugar
  2. the 5% to 15% ratio.  Under 5% per serving is great.  Over 15% depending on what it is, is not.  For example sodium.  Between the two is okay in moderation.
So we have changed our eating habits.  I have been walking a bit.  Did not walk last week, as it was so hot and humid, but have managed to walk every day this week and have achieved over 10,000 steps every day since Monday. 

What all this translates to is I have lost 8 lbs since June 25th.  Not the greatest loss, but it is going in the right direction.  I have booked an appointment to have my blood work done on August 27th and am back at the doctors on September 4th.  So I have another month to work on it all.  I would love to get another 10 lbs off by then, but we'll see.  

Eating better is more important that losing the weight the dietitian said.

However despite me not being a big ice cream fan I could murder a hot fudge sundae😁

13 comments:

50 and counting said...

Well done. At our age, it's hard to drop the pounds.

I've fell off the wagon (health issues) and need to watch what I stuff in my mouth more. I've pretty much eliminated the evening nibbling.

But like you I'm not an icecream person, but every so often a hot fudge brownie delight would be the most sought after thing (Dairy Queen did them back in the 90s when I was pregnant with my boys)

Julierose said...

Good for you...I am trying sSO hard to lose weight--so far pretty close to 5 lbs in 2 weeks...eating low carb and NO SUGAR--very difficult, as I am sure you know---I hAVE DONE 2 WEEKS, SO TODAY I gave myself permission to have some rice, and a little mixed libation...you have to live your life, right??? Hang in there--not easy especially as you age...
hugs, Julierose

Anne in the kitchen said...

8 pounds in a mont actually is a lot of weight loss. Good for you!

Margie from Toronto said...

Congratulations - you have done really well.

I tried on a pair of size 14 petite pants tonight (smallest size I own) and I can actually pull them up and with a tiny bit of a struggle can get them done up! I'll give it another 5 to 7 pounds before I wear them as I don't like my clothes to be snug (especially in this heat) but I have marked the calendar to try them again mid-August when hopefully, I'll be able to put them back in rotation! If I can get into a 12 petite by Christmas I'll be ecstatic - and so will my cardiologist! :-)

I'm following the keto plan and it's funny, I've lost all craving for sweets but would still kill for a piece of bread or pizza! I have some Ezekiel bread i(high fibre/low carb) n the freezer and when the craving gets really bad (about once a week) i toast a piece and enjoy every mouthful!

Karen said...

I got the same lecture last week. Im trying KETO.

Joy said...

It's an excellent loss, well done, and if it continues, I am sure you will be very close to your target.
xx

patriciaann said...

Congrats Gill, you are doing very well.

barbara woods said...

congrats! Wish I had lost but think I have found some of mine!
Plus you don't look fat in your videos!

Jackie said...

I agree, the eating better is much more important and the weight will come off.

God bless.

Jane said...

You did a lot of walking in the past with good results. Do you have a stationary bike or something you could us in your basement on those days when it's too hot? I put mine in front of the TV downstairs and ride 20km while watching something on Netflix and it's nice and cool down there!

William Kendall said...

It'll take some time to find the balance.

Practical Parsimony said...

You could make deals with yourself like you will have the hot fudge sundae when you lose 10 or 20 lbs. Then, you could eat half of it and throw the rest away. You may not even want it by the time you have promised yourself you can have it. Or, you may have a new want.

Northern Living Allowance said...

Best of luck Gill! I think one thing at a time is the best way to manage - good food will bring the weight down, and perhaps from there you can start walking more and more. It sounds like you're being very pragmatic about everything, though, and no doubt you'll continue to do well. xx

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...