Wednesday, April 8, 2015

New Plant Stand.....

We popped up to the garden centre on Sunday and had a look around.  I had some money left on a gift card I had been given for my birthday so decided to buy a plant stand with it for the breakfast area in the kitchen.
It's metal and all folds up when not in use.  I may put cookery books on the bottom shelf.  The African Violet is on an old Tupperware container.  Perfect size for it.  It's that orangey brown colour from the 80's.
A closer look at the birdies on top of the unit.  Can you see the little squirrel door wedge to the left of the plant?  We bought it for the last house.  
Our menu plan for this week is very basic, LEFTOVERS!!  Not sure how long I can make the leftovers stretch, but I think they will last most if not all of the week.

We had ham, mashed potatoes, salad and coleslaw on Sunday night.  Ham, mashed potatoes, salad and baked beans on Monday night.  Ham quiche and salad on Tuesday night, with the last of the mashed potatoes.  Tonight will be ham quiche and salad again, with maybe a baked potato.  So that only leaves, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

I will make a pot of soup with the ham bone, and see how much we have left on Thursday.  Not bad from a ham that cost just under $10.


19 comments:

Betsy said...

The plant stand is very sweet. I especially like the birds on the top. You're very inventive with the ham dishes! It all sounds delicious.
Blessings,
Betsy

Anna of Mutton Style and Years said...

Very economic use of a ham joint. My meal plan is simply don't shop for a month and eat from freezer. That plant stand is gorgeous. You have excellent taste. I think I've said that before:)

The Cranky said...

Beautiful plant stand.

Hams, they stretch to make so many meals... by the time we use one up, we don't want ham for at least 6 months!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

That is a very lovely plant stand.

Jane and Chris said...

We have a mouse doorstop like your squirrel!
Jane x

Connie said...

Your new plant stand is so pretty, I love the color and the little birds on top. Your plants are beautiful, too. I've never had a green thumb for indoor plants. They just don't like me . . . but I have very good luck with outdoor plants. Well, at least I did last year, now that we have property that is not all in the shade.
Your menu for the week put a smile on my face . . . I enjoy being creative with leftovers and it makes meal time so much faster when everything has been precooked.
Have a wonderful day.
Connie :)

Linda said...

It is lovely! :)

slugmama said...

I'm not suppose to have ham on my reduced sodium diet so I don't have the luxury of just eating leftovers this week unfortunately.
We gave half of the ham leftovers to the company that was here on Sunday and hubs is eating ham sandwiches for lunches this week.
I may cube up a little ham and put it into tonight's mac & cheese leftover. I guess I can handle that amount of ham.

The plant stand looks nice.
I need some end tables for our living room but I can't find anything yet that isn't too expensive or the right configuration. The hunt goes on....

Country Gal said...

I do like that plant stand ! Oh another blogger like me with African Violets boy they are popular lol ! Love ham . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

McVal said...

I LOVE that plant stand! My family and I are SO sick of leftovers... Is it bad when they start begging for NEW food?

Mum said...

Brilliant meal plan. If I planned meals it would be just like yours.
xx

Jane said...

To me that's the best part of a holiday meal - LEFTOVERS! I still have most of a turkey left and am sure it will last a few more days.

Boopnut said...

Did you ever consider freezing some of the ham?
Deb :)

William Kendall said...

The plant stand looks like a good addition!

Betsy said...

Gil-I didn't have an email so I thought I would answer your question here if that's okay. The burial pouches you saw on my blog are made for an online charity group I'm a part of and also for a local hospital. They are for babies that don't survive and I make them for several sizes, 2 lbs. to 6 lbs.
It's a terrible thing to need, but it gives great comfort to families who lose a baby. My local hospital calls me when they need more and I make them as quickly as possible because I detest the reason I'm making them, but I also want to give comfort and peace to the families. I hope that answers your question and wasn't too much information. :-)
Blessings,
Betsy

Scarlet said...

Love your plant stand Gill.

Margie said...

What a lovely plant stand, Gill. I especially like the birds at the top!

Jenn Jilks said...

What fun! I'm ready to put the plants outdoors, though...

Rose said...

That is a nice plant stand...I don't have any luck with houseplants so I would find another use for it.

Always love reading about your menu/meal planning.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...