Sunday, February 13, 2011

Busy morning on Saturday......

As I mentioned the other day I wanted to repay the farmer for plowing out our driveway.  So I did a batch cooking on Saturday morning and cooked meals for not just him but us as well.

It took me around 3 hours to do all the cooking as the phone kept ringing.  I made shepherd's pie, egg pie, undone stuffed pepper casserole and stuffed baked potatoes. There were five meals for us, with leftovers for lunches, and five meals (enough for two portions of the pepper casserole) for our new farmer friend.

I worked out it cost well under $30 for all the ingredients, so it works out at less than $2 per person per meal; which I didn't think was too bad.  The only thing we will have to add extra food too is the stuffed baked potatoes, which we will have with a can of baked beans, so that will cost an extra 50 cents for that.


I made labels for the top of the aluminum containers for our farmer friend, so he knows what it is, what is in the container and how to cook it.  I also gave him a loaf of zucchini pineapple bread.  I bought the containers from the dollar store and thought they were pretty handy.

He seemed pretty pleased with it all, and said we had to call him whenever we needed our driveway plowed out.

Now prior to me going to drop off the food I had to clean out the driveway.......dh has gout again, so he was "made" to sit on the sofa all day to rest his foot.  Now he must be in agony as he actually did as he was told....

Anyhow, I had an "encounter" with the snow plow driver........I saw him coming, so I stood far enough out at the end of the driveway, where he had to either run me over or raise his blades.  As I am writing this, you can guess he decided to raise his blades!!!  Enough of him filling in the bottom of my driveway.  Mind you he'll just come back at a later date no doubt and dump double the amount at the bottom of the driveway knowing my luck {{{SIGH}}}

HOW MANY DAYS UNTIL SPRING???

17 comments:

Joolz said...

All that cooking looks amazing. I am sure your farmer friend really appreciated it. A real feast!

My hubby has had gout previously but now he takes Allopurinol daily and hasn't had any for a couple of years. I have seen him writhing and sweating with the pain of his big toe. He looked like he was in labour, the pain coming and going!

Summer will soon be on it's way and we will have winter again. I can't wait!

Cheers - Joolz

Valerie said...

The food looks really appetising, Gill. You certainly were a busy lass doing all that cooking. I can imagine how pleased the farmer was. Let's hope spring gets here soon.

Janet said...

What a wonderful thoughtful idea !I bet he really appreciated that x

Tracey said...

Send me some of your meals on wheels, it looks yum! xxx

The Witch said...

Gill,
I see that you have been very busy.
What a sweet and kind thing to have done for your farmer friend. The meals look so well wrapped and organized for him also.
Only 38 more days till Spring.

Evelyn said...

love the pictures of the food! snowplow drivers do the same here, they could see me standing there and still not lift their blades

Scrappy quilter said...

Heh I'll come shovel your driveway for some scrumptious looking food. That was so thoughtful of you. It's +4C here already...it's coming your way. Hugs

Niki said...

I am sure that is one very very pleased farmer!!! The food looks delicious Gill...we will be making the undone stuffed pepper casserole on our next freezer cooking day :)
Hope your hubby is feeling better soon!

MyBulletinBoard said...

Wish you were MY neighbor!!!!! ~Liz

PS If you ever go missing, we'll look for the snow plow driver first.

Lakeland Jo said...

my mum used to make egg and bacon pie but it was very different to your recipe. No pots or cheese in it. Like the look of the baked potato

clairz said...

Your farmer friend is one lucky man!

Stephanie V said...

Gee, that baking is a wonderful reward. It's so nice to be able to open the freezer and find good stuff to eat. Especially when you've spent a day working outside. You're a great neighbor!

Jackie McGuinness said...

Gill, I saw 2 big, fat robins in our tree today, does that mean spring is close?

Jackie

Anonymous said...

That's a wonderful gift!! What a kind gesture! :) I'd have been thrilled too!

Rose said...

We have temps in the high 40's and supposed to be in the 50's a day or two next week....and we have sunshine! Our snow and ice is finally melting.

EG CameraGirl said...

What a great way to keep the snowplow driver from filling your driveway! :))

That sure is a lot of cooking, Gill, And it all sounds very tasty.

peppylady (Dora) said...

After reading your post about all the goodies you made and the cost.
I thought or try to share a link with you what the government in the united states think we here spend on food. By there count we would be consider thrifty shoppers.
Coffee is on.


http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/FoodPlans/2010/CostofFoodDec10.pdf

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...