Friday, September 11, 2009

Mushrooms or Fungi?

We have these growing on one of the trees, they are quite beautiful. Are they mushrooms or fungi? Also are they posionous, not that I was planning on eating them, just interested. Does anyone go out and pick wild mushrooms? I am terrified I will get posioned, so I don't do it.




I took more photos but Blogger is taking forever to load photos at the moment.

I decided to try and upload a couple more photos on Friday morning to see if its faster, as I find our internet is faster in a morning? It obviously gets tired as the day goes on!!


Update on the Laptop.............no update the store manager didn't even call me.....so guess I will be calling him again on Friday!!

Sorry its such a short post.

11 comments:

Connie Walsh said...

Could be these, this guy called them pheasant back mushrooms:

http://halfpintfarmers.blogspot.com/2008/05/pheasantback-mushrooms.html

Gill - That British Woman said...

Thanks for the link, I went to the site and left a comment, as I'm still not 100% sure if that's them.

Gill

scrappy quilter said...

I think they are fungi. That's what we call them here. And yes they can get incredibly beautiful.

When we lived in NW Ont. we use to collect and see shaggy manes. They don't grow here and like you we are afraid to pick any others because of being poisonous. We really loved the shaggy manes though.

Bobby said...

I have seen such things...they are not mushrooms and definitely not edible.
it is hard to tell whether they are poisonous or not
But this may help in identifying the edible ones...
http://www.nifg.org.uk/edible_fungi.htm

Your EG Tour Guide said...

Cool fungi! I've heard that all fungi that grow on wood are not poisonous - but don't quote me on that! However, not all of them taste good.

Denise said...

Have no clue on mushrooms and I don't know enough about them to chance eating any I don't get from the grocery store. Some can be deadly and some can give you a trip - as in LSD - so I have read. I'll stick to the ones I buy but I will be interested in following the link Connie gave.

tenthingsfarm said...

I thought that mushrooms were a type of fungi too?

Gorgeous photos - love the header too!

-catinhat

Prairie Farmstead Ponderings said...

Those are very beautiful photos of your trees, Gill. I love what you've done as your blog header. Did you try justifying the title line all the way to the right? I just wonder if that wouldn't 'open' the balance of it all even more.

You have a terrific blog, by the way! Great job!

Love and hugs,

~ J

Arija said...

Gill, all mushrooms are Fungi. Mushroom is just the common name, otherwise there is no distinction.
Lovely photos, I hope they turn out to be edible, they look delicious.

Pat said...

Beautiful mushrooms! But I wouldn't eat them if I were you.

My internet connection seems to be faster in the mornings, too.

mara said...

Hi there Gill! Thanks for inquiring on our blogpost about pheasantback mushrooms. They are indeed edible, and those pictures on your site are indeed pheasantbacks. However - as mushrooms go, these are hardly worth the effort this year. If you look at my blogpost about prepping them, you'll see how tedious they can be - and this year they weren't that palatable for some reason, and incredibly tough - NOT FUN EATING! The key seems to be harvest them when they have just developed - very young - as soon as they get a couple of days old, they are just too tough to eat. Not my favorite mushrooms, but still a fun adventure - once. Happy mushrooming!