Thursday, May 16, 2019

Early Inheritance

When my dad moved to Canada in 1985, we gave him a picture to remind him of where he was born and of us.  I have always said to my dad if he left me anything after his passing, I would love the picture as it reminds me of him. 

The other week they were up and he brought me the picture.  He is fine and well, I did ask if there was something he hadn't told me!!  Here it is:


It's a lithograph by the artist Alan Stones and it is called Bluefaced Leicester.  A Bluefaced Leicester is the breed of sheep.  None of the farmers in the photo look like my dad, my dad isn't even a farmer; BUT his heart is in farming.

I had it reframed and new matting put on it, as it had seen better days, also back in the early 80's they didn't use UV rated glass and it had faded the print.

The artist Alan Stones is well known in Cumbria, and we used to live next door to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Stones, Joan and Bill; both have since passed on, but have very fond memories of them.

If you check out his website he has many different types of mediums he uses.  I love the farming ones, as it reminds me of where we lived in Britain, but it's not to everyone's taste.

The picture is now hanging in our bedroom, so I can see it every morning when I wake up.

10 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

How lovely to get your inheritance early, with so many memories attached to it.

Patio Postcards said...

What a wonderful treasure that picture is. Very glad to hear that your Dad is well, maybe he's been watching some of those tidying shows & it prompted him to gift you now.

Jackie said...

Such a lovely memento of your father. I am glad he brought it to you so you can enjoy it while he is still around.

God bless.

T'Pol said...

How nice! I am glad your Dad is well.

Lynnypoo said...

I'm on holiday Gillian next week and just said to 1 of my colleagues at work I'm having a good clean out off bric a brack in case I die and I leave a lot of rubbish for others to clean up ,I know you will think I'm daft thinking about death at 55 but mam was only 57 wonder if I will manadge to do this ,ps I'm not saying the picture is rubbish its gorgeous, your nick very like your dad isn't he xxxlynn

Anne in the kitchen said...

I think passing things on while still in good health is the thing to do. That way everyone gets to enjoy it!

William Kendall said...

That is wonderful!

DeniseinVA said...

How lovely your dad decided to give it now. It is lovely!

Cathy said...

It's great to have mementos of a previous generation - one that will have good memories for you also. Also for your children when it is your turn to pass them on!

Winifred said...

A lovely reminder of your Dad. Very thoughtful of him to give you it now.

When I was little my granddad had a dar wood clock which I loved. He always said it would be mine. Sadly it never was mine so it's good your Dad remembered.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...