Earlier this past week I had to go to the garage to get the oil changed in the car. There is a coffee shop nearby that has the best raspberry yogurt muffins ever. So I called in to get one to eat while waiting for my car. They didn't have any, so I decided to have one of their low fat apple oatmeal muffins and it was really good.
I had three Gala apples that had seen better days so decided to make some apple oatmeal muffins with them using this recipe:
Apple Oatmeal Muffins
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup uncooked quick-cooking oat
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tart cooking apples, cored,peeled,and chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
3. In a mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs; add milk and oil, stirring until just blended.
4. Stir in flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon, mixing until only just moistened (do not overmix).
5. Gently fold in the apples.
6. Spoon batter into the muffin tin, dividing evenly among the cups.
7. Bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
8. Cool in pan 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling.
9. Serve warm or cool; store unused portions in an airtight container.
I will say they are better warm than cold. To make them low fat you could substitute the oil for apple sauce? Not bad though and makes a nice change.
Molly; not sure what is going on with her. We finally got her pills down her, but not with a cheese slice but in between bread. She did eat her food, she just seems out of sorts with herself, so need to keep an eye on her. Normally when I give her, her pills in a cheese slice in a morning, she wolfs it down, but she was having none of it on Sunday. Even dd couldn't get her to eat it?