Thursday, October 21, 2021

No idea what the title should be of this post

you can decide.

I was out walking on Wednesday morning and on one of the streets were two police cars parked.  In itself that was unusual.  A guy was stood on the sidewalk so asked him what was going on and he said the house was empty and he thought it was an attempted break in.  I said okay and went on my merry little way.

A bit further on I met a woman walking her dog and I knew she lived on that street, so asked her the same question.  Now her answer was a six cd length answer, so I will give you the condensed version!!

Yes the house is empty; it is rented.  However the gist of the situation is someone who does not own the house is advertising the house for rent on various social media sites and scamming people out of money.  They are also opening bank accounts using that address.  Now the story got very convoluted at this point and led me to believe there is more going on than she knows about.

However, we both agreed on a couple of things.

1. How do people come up with these sorts of scams?  I would have never have thought of doing something like this?  As I said to the lady, these types of people have too much times on there hands!!

2. One thing that is all over social media in our area (Barrie, Ontario), is the price of renting a house/apartment.  It is as pricy to rent somewhere here as it is in Toronto and people are complaining about it and rightly so.  It is not unusual to see a whole house for rent for over $3,000+ a month.  To rent an upper part of a house $2,500+ and the basement apartment $1,800+.  If you click on this link you can see what various places look like to rent.

For those of you who don't know, our basement's are not the dark and dingy places, they can be lived in.  Our home has as large family room, a bedroom, a bathroom and a large storage/laundry room.  It is not a separate apartment; it does not have a separate entrance ours is a one family home.

3. We couldn't decide how on earth the younger folk are able to get on the property ladder?  Unless you want to live in a condo/apartment there is very little under $600,000 where we live.   Also if folk are having to pay stupid amounts in rent, how will they ever be able to afford a deposit for a house, without the help of the bank of mum and dad?

Worrying times ahead for the younger folks that's for sure.

6 comments:

lorie said...

I know first hand what it is like for the younger generation. My son is 21. My son's friend's parents moved down east, so his friend needed to get an apartment in Barrie. He couldn't afford his own apartment, so my son and him decided to get an apartment together. They must have looked at 50 or more places. Some of the places, my son said were not fit for a dog and they were charging astronomical rents. They were finally able to secure an apartment in a building downtown. They are paying $1000.00 each for a 2 bedroom apartment. Luckily it is all-inclusive, except for parking. There are some people who are paying ridiculous rent and have to pay their utilities on top of it.
As for house prices here it is crazy. Our neighbours beside us moved in only 3 years ago. They just sold their house in less than 24 hrs. It sold for $350,00 more than what they paid for it 3 years ago. Crazy!

Maggie said...

It's hard here too for young people to get on the property ladder, I'm grateful that all our girls have manage to achieve that, renting is just dead money and is more outlay each month than a mortgage payment.
I've no idea how these people come up with these scams either, but I suppose there will always be people that will take advantage of situations

Jackie said...

When the oil prices were over the moon here even small houses were going for ridiculous prices. Now things have changed and it is a buyers market once again. The problem here is that there have been so many that could not meet their mortgage payments and banks are reclaiming the homes after people walk away.

Like you I don't know how young people will ever get on the property ladder even with the reduction in our prices.

God bless.

William Kendall said...

My rent is okay and so is location. Tje drawback is no parking at all, but I don't have a car anyway.

Karen said...

I've been reading about that rental scam in the media. Crooks!
House prices have gone haywire in my rural community. I had my house appraised in 2018 at 238,000. The newest appraisal was 815,000. Who decides this? I'm anxious about my property taxes next year. My pension raise amounted to $12 a month for goodness sake.

Rose said...

If people spent as much energy on figuring out something good as they do on figuring out a scam, it is untelling what could be accomplished. I would like to tell the scam I keep getting in the form of a phone call but I won't here. I never answer it, but scam it is. A friend of mine gets the same phone call.

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...