Thursday, March 26, 2020

We're living in crazy times that's for sure.........

It's been a few months since I last did a blog post.  Between now and then all sorts of things has happened, but none as dramatic as the Covid-19 crisis that is exploding world wide.

I have been in two minds about jumping back into the blogging bandwagon but I feel I may have useful information to help us through these trying times, that could help out in a small way?  Some things people already know what to do, others may not.  Also each country has set up different systems to deal with this crisis.  Also each person/family is dealing with this crisis in their own different way.

In our family we are fortunate that so far everyone is still managing to work; either from home or still at their place of work.  Daycare's and school's are closed but the grandkids are lucky to be able to be at home with one or both parents.  I must admit I am missing them like crazy, but thanks to modern technology I can see and talk to them frequently.  However it's not the same as being able to give them a hug, but that will happen soon enough.

One thing I think that has affected probably everyone is the panic buying of food and supplies.  It has happened all over the world and I think some have suffered more than other's.  Personally I think things are beginning to settle down; at least in my area, as the shelves in the stores are a little more fuller.  I know I have had to alter the way I do things and for the first time in my adult life I was concerned about whether or not we would be able to get fresh fruit and veggies...……...and no I wasn't one of the crazies that bought all the toilet paper...……….never did understand why people were bulk buying toilet paper? 

As I said so far everyone is still working in the family, but no job is 100% secure and if we were to rely on the government to support us we would be unable to cover all our bills and still be able to eat!!  So over the next few days I will do various posts about various topics to help us through these trying times.  If there is anything you want me to cover please ask.

I already make 90% of our meals from scratch and now it's up to 100% so will share some cheap and easy meal ideas.  I will go over how to budget and save money doing various things.  Also I am hoping between us all we will be able to come up with various ideas that will help us all not just now, but in the weeks and months after this crisis is over with.

Finally:


And please stay safe and listen to what your government is saying about social distancing!

7 comments:

Maggie said...

We are certainly living through some scary times!
I'd be interested in some different meal ideas, we were both sent home from work on Tuesday, i'm used to just feeding myself in the week as hubby works away but now he's at home i can't keep feeding him pizza all the time,lol

It's hard not seeing the grandchildren isn't it? I miss those hugs and kisses so much.

Take care

Terra said...

Hi, good to see you here and Yes to social distancing to stop the virus!

Caree Risover said...

I really can't understand that shortage of fresh fruit and vegetables. Were people planning to eat it before it went off or blanch and freeze it? Surprisingly the freezers of frozen fruit and vegetables remained stocked and I suspect that whilst many of us went without (luckily I have leeks and sprouting broccoli in the garden), much of that fresh produce has now ended up rotting rather than being eaten. We went out today for the first time since being ordered to stay at home except for grocery shopping etc. and I was pleased to see the shelves getting back to normal but still no yeast, flour or pasta and now it seems there's been a run on cleaning products! Fortunately the only thing I do buy in bulk is white vinegar which I use for much of my cleaning. Stay safe.

Jackie said...

I understand perfectly where you are coming from. I have one son that is a teacher in Alberta and the other son works for the city he lives in. Both are working online right now, but I wonder how long that will be able to be accomplished.

We are going through scary times right now.

God bless.

Chris said...

Nice to have you back, I've missed your blogs. New ideas for conserving and saving are always welcome!

Tam said...

Please don't forget pet food as that was the later item to disappear from shelves xxx

Evelyn said...

Good to see you back Gill! I am working from home, hubby and oldest are essential services and youngest was laid off from his fast food job

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...