Monday, December 30, 2019

This is how I feel........

Must say I am glad Christmas is over and done with for another year.  I know New Year's Eve/Day is a day to celebrate but we never do much on that day.  It used to be the day I took down all the Christmas decorations as I had the day off work, but nowadays with not working I usually have them down sooner than that.  This year everything was put away on Boxing Day.  I wanted the house back to normal and not all cluttered up with Christmas stuff.

I do leave the Christmas cards up until the 12th night; you can read more about that here.  My hubby works for most of the Christmas period as he is in maintenance and the factory is shut down for the Christmas holidays, so all the machinery must be serviced, etc.  So I barely see him for the two weeks.

Our son hosted Christmas this year and it was lovely to see everyone and enjoy a lovely Christmas meal.  Dh and I were spoiled by the kids and I got a Nespresso coffee machine from them, and dh got a sound bar for the tv.  Santa was good to them as well from what I could see.  The kids got lots and lots of toys to play with, so they were happy.

I have taken a couple of weeks off from Appleby Lane and one of the jobs I am doing is decorating the downstairs bathroom.  What should have been a quick job has turned into an extensive renovation.  Dh started back at the end of November.  I will do a post about it all soon as we should be finished with it all in the next week or so.  If we had known what we were letting ourselves in for we wouldn't have started it when we did...........the joys of buying a house from someone who thinks they know it all😒

Oh yes I have eaten way too much, so need to get back into the healthy eating way of life again..........right after I have eaten the last of the chocolate😁

How was your Christmas?

8 comments:

Chris said...

I feel the same as the little guy in your photo - stuffed to the gills. I also have to finish the last chocolate (and the last of the Christmas meal) before I can think about getting back in shape!

Jenn Jilks said...

We had a lovely time. It's different when one is retired.

Northern Living Allowance said...

Gill! Where did you find that picture of me? ;P Ha ha! I was lamenting to my sister yesterday that I am feeling tired and bloated and can't wait for next week when I can get focused on eating better. Christmas was fine, I'm not back at the office until next Monday but haven't really got anything done that I had planned. Oh, well! I'm going to give the place a good clean today so that the new year starts off fresh and tidy. Wishing you a safe, happy and healthy new year (with few renovations!) NLA xx

Evelyn said...

Seems like more and more people are taking the tree down on boxing day. Christmas was quiet and I have the two weeks off from work.

Patricia said...

We had a lovely time over the Christmas time too. In the past I have made dozens of cookies and goodies, huge meals with all the trimmings, etc. However, all my children have families of their own, so the holiday season has changed for us and I do not do all that baking I usually did, a few shortbread cookies and banana bread and date and orange loaf. Any leftover can be put in the freezer and taken out when needed in the future. I still prepared a lovely dinner, (if I do say so myself) for my partners family and my youngest daughter and her family. My son and DIL hosted a get together for all of my family, only serving finger foods and drinks. It was easy for me not to over indulge this year. Then, both myself and partner came down with this terrible coughing cold, so soup and crackers, lemon juice and honey in boiling water has been the order of the day for three days. Quiet New Years this year. Wishing you and your family a safe, happy, healthy New Year.

Karen said...

I've been really good over the holiday! Didn't over do the baking which was a big help.

William Kendall said...

I got through Christmas is the best way to describe it. It's a hard time of year for me.

Winifred said...

Oh my goodness I leave all my decorations up until Twelfth Nigh. I love the Christmas lights & hate taking down the Christmas tree the place looks so bare.

I need to get more exercise too, haven't eaten too much just eaten different less healthy things.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...