Saturday, August 13, 2016

The "C" word.........

The "C" word is not well received this time of the year.  Let me give you a hint what the "C" word is:

There are only 133 days until the "C" word.

I know who really wants to know this in the middle of a stinking heatwave???

However it will be upon us before we know it.  Already the nights are starting to draw in.  It's now dark until after 6 am.  Despite this stinking heat the nights are a little cooler.  So it is on the horizon.

This year though I am no where near as organized as I normally am, basically because our son is getting married the beginning of January, so it will be a low key Christmas, as we are all travelling to the Bahamas for his wedding.

As most of you know I put money in pots each week for various things.  Been doing this for years now.  I have three pots; a birthday pot, a Christmas pot and a "other thing" pot.  I have a healthy $620 sitting in the Christmas pot.  So will keep adding too it weekly and it should cover everything.  

The "other thing" pot will be saved towards spending money and payment towards our vacation/wedding.  I put a deposit down with the travel agent the other day so that $300 will come out of that pot.  The rest of the money in that pot will be saved and converted into US $.

The birthday pot will take a big hit in September as it's Sammy's, son-in-law's and dh's birthdays.  The good thing though is I know I have enough money to cover everything,  It's a lifesaver those pots.

Back to the "C" word though; a lot of thought is going to have to be put into this, this year as I seriously want to cut back, plus we have two new members in our family..........

Have you thought about the "C" word yet?  Have you made plans for it?


16 comments:

Evelyn said...

Nope i will plan maybe in December lol. Christmas is pretty low key here.

Cat Lover said...

Gill, I can't even think about Christmas yet! Although I did briefly think about it recently when we were visiting our new home for a walk-thru. The living room has a perfect area for a Christmas tree.

Mum said...

Cake?
xx

Jackie said...

I have made some craft plans, gathered what I have and made a list of what I need. That is about as far as I have gotten right now.

God bless.

slugmama said...

Good on you for planning ahead and putting $ back for "C". It boggles my mind how people wail on about how broke they are after "C" (like they had no clue it was coming)but yet, it's not like it doesn't comes around EVERY. YEAR., right? lolz

I use rebates and points to tuck a bit of $ away and/or buy gift cards all year long for "C" giving.
I have really cut back on the "C" spending since our kids are all mostly adults now. I don't do the gifting like I use to but I do still like to use the $ at "C" to visit them and have family together time.

Good luck on cutting back at your house this "C". 8-)

William Kendall said...

I know the greeting cards shops already have some Christmas stuff in stock.

Christmas shopping should be left until one in the afternoon on December 24th, just to make things interesting.

mamasmercantile said...

I have started the lists for gifts and already have several made. We have cut back on a lot of gift giving as it was getting a little out of hand. Every year the family gets bigger.

Jane said...

I've been thinking about the C word too. I set a new goal this year to buy a new gift each month to spread the load but things stalled around March! Need to get going on that again but like you say my priority these days is staying COOL!

Winifred said...

It probably wouldn't do any harm to cut back at Christmas seems to have got out of hand. I've been trying to do that for a few years now as it's so difficult to buy things for people. Most of the family have got everything they need so I'm beginning to wonder what's the point of buying for the sake of it. Also don't see the point of giving money or vouchers!

It's nice buying for children as they don't tend to have everything but once they get older, they do!

If you're going away & it will be expensive why not agree to just buy something very small or maybe just buy for the little ones.

Betsy said...

I have already made several Christmas gifts, I'm cutting way back this year, but I always try to have everything done by Thanksgiving weekend so I can enjoy the season and soak in the meaning of it without feeling harried.
Blessings,
Betsy

Boyett-Brinkley said...

No, I haven't really thought about. I used to have all my shopping done by the end of August because I don't like crowds and shopping but now, with the kids all being bigger, I generally give money. They seem to like that pretty well.

Boopnut said...

Cutting back on the "C" word every year, but still enjoying the true meaning of it. I like your ideas of having money pots!

Deb

Unknown said...

I can't wait!! The summer has been brutal and by Christmas I will no longer be pregnant! I can't imagine not being pregnant at this point!

Cherie said...

We too are cutting back on the Christmas spending this year. I am planning a really lovely meal and some 'simple but wanted' little gifts for everyone. I ask everyone to make a list of what they would like. I pick something from the list and they get what they want without knowing what it was I chose to buy. It is our first year as empty nesters and we are a bit usure as to whether we will have company or not.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Very thankful your "C" word is Christmas! I give very few gifts but I do make charitable donations in people's names then send them a card saying so. At my age, we've all got the necessities, everything else is just stuff.

magsmcc said...

Goodness, Gill. How plans change. May your recovery continue with blessing and success xx

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...