Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Just call me Olive.....

Had our book club meeting this week. Our book this month was Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Stout; I read and reviewed the book here.


For the most part all the members enjoyed the book, a couple didn't but that's not unusual, not everyone likes the same thing.

The main character was Olive.  She was a no nonsense, crusty woman, who spoke her mind, didn't suffer fools gladly, but underneath had a softer side that occasionally peaked out.  I said I could so relate to her and thought I saw a lot of me in her.  Turns out a few others felt the same way.

So now if someone is grumpy, we're going to call it an "Olive" moment.  Turns out there was an HBO series as well that was based on this book, which you can read about here.

Have you ever read a book and thought "that character is my twin?"

Our November book choice is "Ru" by Kim Thuy

13 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

I wish I could be in a book club! Thanks for sharing yours!
I haven't, actually, seen someone like me. Not that I can remember, anyway!
The TV series won an award, too!

Jane and Chris said...

Yes, Hermione from Harry Potter.
Jane x

Betsy said...

An Olive moment!! Yes, I'm sure we've all had those at one time or another. I can't think of anyone right off that I feel is like me but I'm sure the character is out there somewhere. :-)
Blessings,
Betsy

William Kendall said...

I've heard of the book, just haven't read it.

Unknown said...

I feel like I know a lot of people like Olive in real life!

Jane said...

My brother thinks I'm a lot like Scarlett O'Hara because I would definitely beg, borrow or steal (or make a gown out of the draows) in order to feed my family!

Out My window said...

So long since I have heard from you all my fault of course. I read many books that remind me of myself. They all have crazy people in them;)

Wisewebwoman said...

Yes we read Olive in bookclub too and I adored her as I could relate to her, I've read other works by the author too, most of them impressive.

Also catching up with you. I am in a house that used to be a summer cabin and am surrounded by those who "winter" and often "summer" elsewhere. I am nowhere near their tax bracket and find it a little disconcerting at parties (we are a small community, everyone goes to everything) though I never sense a false snobbery as I would find that unbearable.

XO
WWW

McVal said...

Someday I'm going to read more than just sewing magazines again! And this sounds interesting... It's on my list!

Gillian said...

I don't think I've come across 'me' in a book - not so far anyway. I'll have to remember that when someone is grumpy it's an Olive moment

Stella Jones said...

Well no, not exactly but I have met lots of characters that I would like to be like. I love the character that Miss Read created in Village School and also Miss Clare. I model myself on them.

Dee said...

I hope you are enjoying your blogging break and dill come back feeling refreshed

Anonymous said...

Hi Gill, I hope you are well and will return one of these days :)

- from Dar

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...